History

Originally named as ‘Afghan Chapel’, this building is reputedly the oldest permanent mosque in Australia. The building is of national significance and one of the few relics of Afghan immigration to South Australia which embodies Afghan and Islamic culture. Initially founded by a group of Afghan and North Indian camel riders, the mosque dates back to 1888-1889 with the four distinctive minarets added in 1903.